My Careers in Communication class is taught mostly through
guest speakers’ lectures, which has exposed me to many new concepts and
perspectives related to job searching and future success. Processing this
information has led me to several new approaches and revelations that will be
invaluable during my post-grad job search.
I have gained quite a bit of knowledge that will be
advantageous during the interview process of securing a job. Learning about and
utilizing the Skills Matrix in the Career Portfolio allowed me to match each of
my experiences with a particular skill set developed. I had never mentally
mapped this information in this way; the organization has helped me become more
articulate in explaining my achievements. I think this will be crucially helpful
during job interviews because it can be used to answer just about any question
quickly, thoroughly, and thoughtfully. I
have learned the importance of having excellent pre-prepared answers to the
questions that will inevitably be asked during an interview.
I have also realized that I know absolutely nothing about
money, financing, or budgeting. Melissa Wright’s
financial presentation encouraged me to do some serious research concerning
salaries, benefits, and realistic life planning. This research will definitely be
instrumental in deciding which jobs to apply for, discussing benefits with a
potential employer, and determining which job to take.
All of our speakers’ stories have led me to realize just how competitive
the job market is. This realization led to my not-so-exciting discovery that
getting my dream job is a process and it might not happen right away. I need to
work on accepting this possibility (more like probability) and embrace the fact
that there is something to learn in any position at any company. However,
setting realistic goals, adjusting my attitude, and preserving may be enough to
make my dreams a reality in a more timely manner.
No comments:
Post a Comment